* 4 medium Zucchini, washed and sliced in 1 inch pieces
* 1 large Yellow Crookneck Squash, washed and sliced in 1 inch pieces
* 1 Pattypan Squash, quartered
* 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
* 3 cups Chicken Broth, defatted
* Salt and Ground White Pepper to taste
* 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, finely chopped
* 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
* 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1. Place squash, onion, garlic, broth, salt, and white pepper in a large saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Puree the squash mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth.
6. Set aside a small amount of the basil and parsley for garnishing.
7. Add the basil, parsley and lemon juice and puree again.
Super good–great way to use the leftover summer squash! Jammed packed with Vitamin C and B. Good to eat to prevent heart disease.
1/4 c slivered almonds
2 lbs. fresh kale, rinsed, stems removed, and leaves chopped (20 cups)
1/2 c water
1/2 c apple juice
1/4 c golden raisins
2 T butter or margarine
1. Toast the almonds in a large skillet over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring often. Scrape into a small bowl.
2. Add the kale and water to the skillet. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring and turning occasionally with 2 spoons, until the leaves are just wilted and most of the liquid is evaporated.
3. Stir in the apple juice and raisins. Cook uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until the apple juice is almost evaporated. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the butter, then almonds. Serve right away.
*Kale is a great source of calcium, potassium, and vitamins A and C. The apple juice and almonds of this recipe really tone down the flavor of the kale, which is a good thing in my opinion! 🙂
–The Women’s Day Cookbook pg. 416
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 (12 oz) jar Pineapple salsa (our favorite Trader Joe’s salsa!)
1 1/2 c frozen Mango Chunks or frozen Tropical Fruit Trio
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees
2. Place chicken breasts in a baking dish, cover with salsa, and top with mango chunks (don’t bother thawing). Lightly drape with aluminum foil.
3. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is done and juices run clear when cut. Be careful not to overcook.
Super easy & flavorful!
–Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s Cookbook, page 87
6 roma tomatoes, chopped (I used heirloom, super flavor!)
1/2 c sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 c olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 c fresh basil, stems removed
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
1 french baguette (gfree bread works well–just toast a little longer)
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven on broiler setting
2. In a bowl, combine everything but the bread and cheese. Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
3. Cut the baguette in 3/4 inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
4. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozarella cheese.
5. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.