4 Cups of Pumpkin Puree (see directions below) or 2 15 oz canned pumpkin
1 1/4 c honey
1/2 c apple juice
2 T lemon juice
2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t salt
chopped hazelnuts (optional)
2 3 1/2 lb pie pumpkins
1. Preheat oven to 375. Cut pumpkins in 5×5 inch pieces. Remove seeds and strings. Arrange pieces in single layer, skin sides up, in foil lined baking pan
2. Bake, covered, 1 hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop pulp from rind. Place pulp in blender or food processor.
3. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to freezer bags. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze up to 6 months. Thaw in refrigerator to use.
1. In 5 quart Dutch oven (I used a regular pot, worked just fine) combine all ingredients except nuts. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, 25 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; cool.
2. Ladle into jars or freezer containers, leaving a 1/2 in headspace. Cover; store in refrigerator up to 1 week or freezer up to 6 months.
3. To serve, top with chopped nuts.
Makes 4 1/2 C (36 2 T servings)
Each serving: 35 cal, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 9g cabo, 0g fiber, 0g protein, 19% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 1% calcium, 1% iron
–Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes 2009