8 Roma Tomatoes (could work with any kind), crushed
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1 t black pepper
1 t salt
1 T minced onion
1 T dried oregano
1 T garlic powder
1 t parsley
1 t white sugar (I used honey instead)
*I also threw in fresh rosemary & fresh thyme
First step: Crushing the tomatoes:
1. Bring large pot of water to boil–put in the tomatoes, about 45 seconds
2. Immediately put the tomatoes in a bowl of ice water, about 1 minute
3. This process makes the tomato skin peel right off–it was amazing
4. Cut the tomatoes in half.
5. Squeeze each tomato half into a bowl to get out the water. Use your finger or spoon to scoop out the seeds
Second step: The Sauce
In a large saucepan over low heat, combine tomatoes, and all rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 1 hour.
Third step: “Spaghetti”
You, of course, could use regular pasta, but I used spaghetti squash instead.
With a sharp, thin-bladed knife, pierce the squash in 4-5 places around its perimeter. Place in the microwave and cook on high power until tender when pushed with your fingers, 15-20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Cut the squash in half through the stem & remove the seeds. Scrape the flesh off the skin into a bowl, and discard the skin. Use he fork to shred the squash into strands.
–From Jillian Michaels
When the sauce and spaghetti squash are ready, combine. You’ve got yourself a delicious, 100% scratch plate of spaghetti! 🙂