Part 1: Steamed Artichokes
1. Cut about an inch off the top of each artichoke.
2. Cut off base and remove small outer leaves, if desired.
3. Pour an inch of water and a lemon wedge into steamer and allow to boil.
4. Place artichokes into vegetable steamer, tips up.
5. Cover and cook for 25 to 40 minutes.
6. Cut into base of each artichoke to check that it is soft, and make sure inside leaves can be pulled out easily.
7. Cook five minutes more if artichokes are not done, and then check again, repeating as necessary.
8. Drain artichokes upside down on paper towel
Part 2: Hollandaise Sauce by Julia Childs 🙂
3 egg yolks
1/4 t salt
Pinch of pepper
1-2 T lemon juice
1 stick of butter
1. Blend egg yolks, seasonings, and 1 T lemon juice.
2. Cut the butter into pieces and heat it to foaming hot in a small saucepan.
3. While still blending the egg mixture start pouring in the hot butter. Omit the milky residue at the bottom of the butter pan.