I heard that you can make ice cream with 1 ingredient, bananas. I was very doubtful at first but after hearing this from a number of folks, I decided to give it a try. The idea of eating “ice cream” without chocolate is sad to me, so I decided to go all the way and try out a chocolate ganache recipe to pour over it. We had a friend over last night for dinner who seemed the type to be adventurous with food, so I last night was the night!
AMAZING! This blew my skeptical thoughts out of the water. We all really felt like we were eating ice cream! It had the same texture and consistency. If you are skeptical, I don’t blame you, but please give it a chance. You won’t be disappointed!
Banana Ice Cream Ingredients:
Bananas! That’s it! 🙂
Banana Ice Cream Preparation:
1. Peel the bananas.
2. Cut the banana into bite size pieces.
3. Freeze for just 1-2 hours on a plate.
4. Blend, blend, blend – scraping down the bowl when they stick.
5. Enjoy the magic moment when they turn into ice cream!
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Cacao Powder)
2 tablespoons of maple syrup (I used honey)
Pinch of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
Chocolate Ganache Preparation:
1. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. It won’t take long for the oil to melt because it has a low melting point, melting at 76 degrees F (24 degrees C).
2. Turn the heat off and stir in the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Optionally, blend in the salt and vanilla.
3. Let the ganache cool to room temperature, or to speed things up, place the saucepan in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
4. Spoon or drizzle the ganache over your breakfast treat. Let it cool at room temperature for 5 minutes or so, or refrigerate until ready to devour.
5. Store the ganache in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Reheat on a low heat to use it again.