This recipe was shared with us from a friend at church. We love it, and it is a yummy gluten & grain free treat to enjoy!! I will confess that I, myself, haven’t actually made this recipe, but my husband has and he says it is super easy to make! I’ll have to make it eventually because he has already requested this to be his birthday cake come April. It is THAT good! 🙂
2 C sugar, divided
6 large eggs
2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
1/4 t salt
1/2 t vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cook 1 C sugar in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring as needed until sugar melts and is light golden. Quickly pour syrup into a 9-inch round cake pan. Tilt pan to evenly coat the bottom. Set aside.
3. Whisk together eggs and remaining sugar. Gradually whisk in milk, salt and vanilla. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into prepared cake pan. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and add hot water to roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
4. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Remove pan from roasting pan. Uncover and cool on wire rack. Cover and chill 4 hours.
6. Run a knife around edges of flan to loosen, then invert onto a large serving plant.